Graphical DAC Models in the book

Greg
I've been working through the book, and learning a tremendous amount about both traditional stats and bayesian methods, so thank you for that.

One question I had is related to the DAC and model graphs in the book.  It looks like they were created as "Doodles" in either WinBUGS or OpenBUGS.  If I understand it correctly, the "doodles" are a graphical method for writing code.  Is this correct?  If so, it would be a much simpler entry into dealing with code writing.

Now, you're recommending JAGS instead of BUGS though.  It looks like OpenBUGS is written in Pascal, and JAGS seems to get much more support, but is there an equivalent to "doodle" for JAGS?  If not, are you still making graphical representations of models in doodle?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Greg

Re: Graphical DAC Models in the book

John K. Kruschke
Administrator

For a discussion about the diagrams, see this blog post:
http://doingbayesiandataanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/05/graphical-model-diagrams-in-doing.html

There is nothing like Doodles for JAGS, as far as I know, though if you really wanted to, you could take the Doodles output and use that model statement for input to JAGS (perhaps with a few adjustments). I've never used Doodles and I'm not sure if it's very robust for complex models.

And thanks for the nice remark about the book!

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Greg [via Doing Bayesian Data Analysis] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been working through the book, and learning a tremendous amount about both traditional stats and bayesian methods, so thank you for that.

One question I had is related to the DAC and model graphs in the book.  It looks like they were created as "Doodles" in either WinBUGS or OpenBUGS.  If I understand it correctly, the "doodles" are a graphical method for writing code.  Is this correct?  If so, it would be a much simpler entry into dealing with code writing.

Now, you're recommending JAGS instead of BUGS though.  It looks like OpenBUGS is written in Pascal, and JAGS seems to get much more support, but is there an equivalent to "doodle" for JAGS?  If not, are you still making graphical representations of models in doodle?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Greg

http://doing-bayesian-data-analysis.12272.x6.nabble.com/Graphical-DAC-Models-in-the-book-tp5000644.html
To start a new topic under Doing Bayesian Data Analysis, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Doing Bayesian Data Analysis, click here.
NAML